How do you differentiate yourself from Facebook’s 2.9 billion active monthly users? Answer: Your name.
Whether it’s updating your last name after getting married or incorporating your maiden name, there are various reasons why you might want to change your name on Facebook.
This article will guide you on how to change your name on Facebook.
- How to Change Your Name on Facebook
Ensuring that Facebook accepts your name change is essential before changing your name. Here are the guidelines for changing profile names on Facebook:
- Users cannot change their names within 60 days of changing them previously.
- Users cannot use unusual characters, repetitive phrases, symbols and punctuation.
- Titles (Eg: Lord, Mr., Mrs. and others) before names are prohibited.
- Avoid expletives and suggestive words.
- The name should not impersonate anyone or anything.
- You can’t use characters from multiple languages. E.g., Facebook will not allow a name that mixes some non-western characters with English or French characters.
The rule of thumb is to use a name you identify with among friends and family.
What Happens if You Don’t Adhere to the Guidelines?
The name-changing guidelines may seem less than clear-cut. Regardless, Facebook demands name and identity confirmation in case of violations. During these rare occurrences, you’re locked out of your Facebook account until you provide identity documentation like a passport and driver’s license and complete the identity verification process.
How to Change Your Name on Facebook
Step 1: Log in to your Facebook account. Step 2: Click the dropdown arrow on the top right-hand corner, then tap Settings & Privacy. Click on Settings.
Step 3: Go to the Meta Accounts Centre section on the left. Click on See more in the Accounts Centre.
Step 4: Tap on the profile whose name you want to change.
Step 5: Tap on Name in the pop-up window.
Step 6: Change the name and click Review Change.
Step 1: Click on the hamburger menu on the mobile app and scroll down to tap on Settings and Privacy. Select Settings from the dropdown menu.
Step 2: Go to the Meta Accounts Centre section at the top. Click on See more in the Accounts Centre.
Step 3: Tap on the profile that’s name you want to change.
Step 4: Tap on Name.
Step 5: Change the name and click Review Change.
Note that the above steps are for changing the display name, not your username. What’s the difference, you ask? While multiple people can have the same name, the username is unique to every Facebook user.
If you’re lovingly known by more than one name among your circle of friends, you don’t necessarily need to change your name on Facebook. You have other options!
You can add a name or nickname to your existing name on your Facebook profile. Here’s how:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on Settings & Privacy > Settings > Personal Information. Then tap on Name.
- Click on Add a nickname, a birth name. Choose your option of choice.
- Type in the name.
- Choose if you want this name displayed on your Facebook profile.
- Click on Save Changes.
Remember, your profile can get banned from Facebook for breaching guidelines. Do you know any other tips regarding how to change your name on Facebook? Tell us in the comments section.